UPDATED June 27, 2022
Mevo single-cam users who livestream through an iOS device (no separate hotspot) may experience video delays. These video delays affect sidelineHD scoreboards and clips.
For now, you can fix the issue by:
- Switching to the Mevo multi-cam app (this app supports multiple cameras but it works with one as well).
- Using a separate hotspot.
Which users are affected?
|Mevo Plus / Start||Mevo single-cam app on iOS||No separate hotspot|
Note: these notes only relate to users who meet all 3 criteria.
You may be experiencing this problem if:
- SidelineHD scoreboards describe events BEFORE the action happens. Your scoreboard “predicts” the future.
- SidelineHD clips are wrong. When this problem happens, team families will receive bad clips. (There are many reasons why you might receive an incorrect clip – watch the video feed to see if #1 is occurring.)
- Live viewers experience LONG broadcast lags. The YouTube or Facebook feed is more than 1 minute behind the game (it is normal to have 30-60s of delay).
When does this happen?
It doesn’t happen all the time. It can happen when a stream starts or during a stream.
We suspect it is triggered when a poor cellular connection causes many seconds of video to be "buffered" by the Mevo app. This delays the feed received by sidelineHD.
What can I do?
SidelineHD has shared information with Mevo and we are optimistic that they can fix the issue. In the meantime, you have three options to resolve things:
- Switch to using the Mevo Multicam app. This is a straightforward switch to make, and works even if you only have one Mevo. Directions for Mevo Multicam
- Use ANOTHER phone as your hotspot. Use another phone to create a WiFi network (tethering). Make sure your phone AND your Mevo both join this network.
- Use Larix until this is fixed. Larix is a free streaming camera for iOS and Andriod. Directions for streaming from smartphone.
I want the technical details
We suspect this issue occurs when a poor cellular connection causes many seconds of video to be "buffered" by your phone. This delays the feed received by sidelineHD. In the past, this issue arose when Apple changed an iOS streaming component used by Mevo software.
- We have confirmed that this problem occurs for the combination of: (1) Mevo Plus/Start, (2) Logitech Mevo iOS app 3.0.9 (159), (3) using the phone’s cellular connection.
- Time-synchronization is required for sidelineHD to work correctly. You can calibrate your setup here.
- If you think you are experiencing this issue, help us troubleshoot by including a live clock in your feed. This is a healthy feed. This feed has video lagging by 10 minutes.